Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something that REALLY bugs me.

Okay, there is something that really bugs me, and I'm just going to get it out of the way, here and now, up front, at the beginning. I absolutely, positively, do not like it when people think that they have the right to correct other people's grammar/spelling/punctuation/whatever. Now that we're a people of facebook, tweeters and blog writers, busily emptying out our skulls, there is plenty of opportunity for the uppity folks out there to WOW us with their spectacular knowledge of the the English language. In my opinion, what they are doing, is attempting to make themselves appear superior. Do they really think that the people they correct would actually feel grateful for their unselfish act of helpfulness? Why, who doesn't love public humiliation, right?
 I was not an English major. When I write, I figure that if you can understand what I am saying, then we are communicating. Isn't that what language is all about? Communication? Will anyone miss the point if I say "I layed the baby on the bed", instead of "I laid the baby on the bed"? I think not.
Now, that said, if I am writing, and accidentally mistype the word vagina in place of, say, the word foot-- for example: "As I was browsing through my favorite shoe store, I happened to spy an awesome pair of flops. So, I grabbed them off the shelf, and stuck my vagina in one to make sure they fit." -- well then please, by all means, call me out on it, because that would just sound silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment